- March 2022
- Why Your Cat Licks You
- How to Stop Cats Chewing on Wires
- Everyday Household Items Cats Like to Play With
- How to Get Your Cat to Let Go When Biting
- What Cats and Dogs Have in Common
- Cat Deterrents: Do's and Don'ts
- How to Stop Cats from Climbing Screen Doors
- Why Cats Sleep on Routers and Modems
- How to Get Your Cat to Sleep at Night
- February 2022
Why Cats Scratch Furniture!
Mar 23, 2021
Is your cat scratching up your furniture or clothing again? While scratching can be destructive when it gets out of hand, it serves a number of important purposes for felines. Here are a few reasons why your cat needs to scratch:
- Just as you need to regularly clip your nails, cats have to do something similar. You have probably noticed your pet sheds claw sheaths. Scratching helps with this process.
- By clawing at a surface, cats mark it visually. They also leave behind their scent, so scratching can be a territorial act.
- Cats get a workout from scratching. It is especially good for maintaining flexibility. So, scratching regularly helps keep your kitty in shape.
- Sometimes scratching may have a social component. Your kitty could be trying to get you to take notice.
- Sometimes cats also scratch for pure enjoyment. Just as exercising is fun for you, your cat likes it too.
In some cases, frustrated cat owners declaw their pets. The truth is, declawing is literally an amputation procedure, and it can lead to long-term health problems as well as ongoing discomfort or pain. It also robs your cat of the joys and health benefits of scratching.
So, what is the ideal solution if your kitty keeps shredding your drapes, clothes, carpet, or furniture?
We recommend our Cat Scratching Post. With its compact design and adjustable height, it is ideal for any space. Its natural sisal rope will give your cat something better to scratch than your furniture, and it comes with a ball that dangles from the top to really entice your pet!