How to Stop Cats from Climbing Screen Doors
Mar 12, 2022
Nothing ignites panic like turning around to see your cat climbing a screen door or window. Those sharp claws can do a lot of damage to your typical window screen in no time at all. What can you do to stop it? Here are a few ideas.
- Spray your screen with a deterrent.
- Conversely, try spraying the screen with a calming spray instead. In some cases, this could work better.
- Cats often dislike the texture of double-sided tape. Some tape on the screen or around it might dissuade your kitty.
- You could try spraying water or throwing a shirt at your cat to get your pet away from the screen. This is just a stopgap measure though. It also may just make your kitty more stressed, which could increase the behavior (note: never do these things to scare or punish your cat, only to startle and distract).
- Put a metal gate, metal mesh, or some other barrier over the screen.
Another idea is to try and give your cat something else more fun to do. For example, consider a cat scratching board. This will be especially useful if your pet is climbing the screen door in part to stretch out and scratch, rather than simply to make escape attempts.